Monday, February 28, 2011

The big 5

Today our precious firstborn turned FIVE years old! I had a few moments this morning with my cuddly little guy, just enjoying the few more hours of having a four-year-old before we set out for a day full of activities to celebrate Caleb's special day.

We started at the zoo, where we saw a brand new black bear exhibit. It was a perfect day for the zoo, except it was quite windy. The animals were out and about and we saw more active animals than usual.

(Mom, this is exactly where we were when you called to wish Caleb happy birthday! I was balancing my phone and camera and trying to keep the stroller from rolling away! Skype on my iPhone is the coolest thing!)

The mountain lion was exceptionally friendly today. He sat down right next to Caleb and stared right at Carly. She was appropriately freaked out.


Then we saw an ostrich wandering the African Savannah. We played hide and seek with it. Literally! It would look at me and then move it's head behind the wood post - "hiding" from me. We repeated that several times. It was hilarious!


By the way, ostriches are HUGE!


We got to see the cheetahs awake and close up. One of Caleb's favorites!


And the ever-fascinating macaws. Caleb perfected his bird call today. It was pretty accurate!






After the zoo Caleb wanted to go spend a Walmart gift card he got from Grandma and Grandpa. I was somehow able to convince him he didn't need another truck and steered him toward something new. He picked Sea Monkeys!



We've already started the process of growing the sea monkeys and I think I am more excited than he is!

After we spent his money we headed to McDonald's for lunch and both kids played in the play gym for quite a while, then we stopped by Barnes and Noble for a free cookie for the birthday boy. He got to pick from any cookie or cupcake in the case, and he picked a gigantic sugar cookie with red sprinkles.

This afternoon we took advantage of the gusty wind and flew some $1 kites in the field behind our house. Caleb loved the kites! (Carly, not so much.)


Pizza ad leftover cake for dinner was a nice end to Caleb's birthday. I had so much fun letting him choose the activities and chauffeuring him around town.

He is so stinkin' big!

I LOVE IT.

No comments: