Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I have a motion picture in my mind of what the insides of Greg's kidneys look like. It's like one of those old-school sci-fi movies with the shrinking spaceship that somehow gets into the human blood stream. Traveling along a mostly red river of blood cells with the occasional white blood cell to dodge, we finally arrive into a huge cavern with lots of white spiky round things attached to the ceiling, walls, and floor of this space. It's like Carlsbad Caverns with good ole East Texas "stickerburrs" all over the place. As we try to exit the cavern, we spy a problem. "Sir, the tunnel is blocked." "Blocked?" "Yes, sir. Blocked. It appears one of the larger strange spiky things has detached from the wall and blocked our exit." "Hmmm, that is a problem."

I like to think I have the potential to be a great movie writer. But since I've never actually seen a kidney stone, I've probably got it all wrong. The doctor says it's going to be brown, possible black. And who knows if it's spiky? I'm sure it feels pretty prickly in there. I don't even know if it's blocking anything. I didn't see the x-ray, and I'm not too good at reading those things anyway. "I don't see anything in that vicinity." "That's because your looking at the heart." "Ah, yes. Well." But you don't have to know facts to write sci-fi...

But we (he, really) have a decision to make. Let it lie and hope it scrapes its way out, send in the spaceship on a retrieval mission, or blast it from the outside with sound waves.

No comments: